Welcome to Paper Cat Press’s Weekly Roundup! In the Weekly Roundup, I provide links and summarized information about the crowdfunded projects, creator opportunities, and resources that have caught my eye over the week. I hope you enjoy! Links featuring adult content or that identify as adult material will be marked NSFW! I am not sponsored by any company, group, or individual listed below or elsewhere on this site unless otherwise stated.
Want to jump to a specific section? Use the links below:
News || Social Resources || Awards and Prizes || Crowdfunded Projects || General/Misc. || Animation || Comics, Illustration, and More || Conventions and Events || Designers || Fan Zines || Games || Mentorships & Fellowships || Residencies, Retreats, and Workshops || Scholarships, Sponsorships, and Grants || Teaching || Voice Acting || Writing and Editing || Youth and Internships || Resources || Deals || Giveaways
- The “Resources” area of the Roundup is getting some remodeling. Some resources have been relocated; some have not. I’m hoping to work out a new solution for their sharing and organization in the near future. Thank you for your patience!
- Paper Cat’s listings are largely focused on the US job markets. Do you know about resources similar to Paper Cat that focus on other countries? Please contact me and let me know!
- Paper Cat Press now has an official mailing list! Sign up here and get notified whenever a new Weekly Roundup goes live.
- The Crash Override Network has resources on what to do if you’re a victim of online harassment and/or doxxing and how to protect yourself.
- If you are a trans person in need of legal assistance, check translawhelp.org for pro bono services in your state.
- Here’s a list of free or low-cost mental health resources. Thank you so much for compiling this list, Tiffany!
- If you need to talk to someone or otherwise vent, please utilize this list of help hotlines.
Remember to rest, eat, and drink water when you can. Take care of yourself the best that you can. You, your presence, and your work have an incredible impact on the people around you. You should be here.
- Nilah Magruder shared this Illustration Awards Masterlist. Scroll down to the Resources section to see even more that Nilah has contributed to the community for free. Thank you so much, Nilah!
Crowdfunded ProjectsScott Kysh is raising funds to print Wrath Chapter 3. Wrath is an ongoing, six-chapter graphic novel that tells the story of a young man named Doug who has the ability to manifest his childhood trauma into a physical form. Though Doug can’t control his past or the emotional and psychological toll his experiences take, he can decide how he lets those things guide his life. Reward options include digital and standard copies of the comic, a variant cover copy, die-cut stickers, and a cameo in the third chapter. The campaign ends on November 30.
Please check the Comics section on Kickstarter to find even more creative crowdfunding campaigns to support.
- Go Komikimok, a collective of SEA creators, is now open. They recently released a series of resources: “The Comic Creator’s Guide to Graphic Novel Pitch Packets” and “The Comic Creator’s Guide to Literary Agents.“
- Abelle, the creator of the #DrawingWhileBlack hashtag, has moved the directory to AirTable. Please add your name if you are a Black artist!
- For users of DeviantArt: DeviantArt Protect, their state-of-the-art image recognition software, is expanding its reach beyond just DeviantArt, and now scans public blockchains and third-party marketplaces for potential art infringements in the form of minted non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Not every NFT is minted by the actual owner of the art, allowing bad actors to sell and profit from the hard work of deviants. With this addition, DeviantArt Protect provides an additional layer of security to help safeguard your art.
- If you’re a Filipino artist, add your name to the Filipino American Artist Directory!
- If you’ve ever been caught unawares by a popular promotional hashtag event, you’re not alone! To help, the Online Organizers Collective created a Social Media Event Directory and submission form.
- The Latinx Collective shared a directory of Latina and Latinx small business owners and collectives. Check it out!
- Elvie Mae Parian shared a Google Sheet with a Directory of Remote Animation Workplaces. Check it out!
- Atomic Cartoons is seeking:
- (Vancouver, Canada) a 2D Harmony Animator, a 2D Harmony Builds Artist, a 2D Harmony Compositing Artist, a 2D Harmony FX Artist, a 2D Production Coordinator, CG FX Artists, a CFX Supervisor, CG Animators, a CG Designer, a CG Groom Artist, a CG Layout Artist, a CG Lead Animator, a CG Lead Designer, a CG Lead Lighting and Compositing Artist, a CG Lead Shot TD, CG Look Development Artists, a CG Pipeline TD, CG Rigging Artists, a CG Shot Finaling Artist, a CG Storyboard Supervisor, a CG Supervisor, a CG Texturing Artist, a Production Assistant, and a Production Coordinator.
- (Ottawa, Canada) a 2D Harmony Animator.
- (Vancouver, Canada) Bardel Entertainment has many open job opportunities.
- Bento Box:
- (Glendale, CA) Seeking a Production Coordinator and a Timing Director (part-time).
- (North Hollywood, CA) Seeking an Asset Coordinator and a Background Supervisor.
- (London, UK) Blue-Zoo Animation is seeking a 3D Character Animator, a 3D Character Sculptor, an Art Director, a Director, an experienced 2D Compositor, an experienced 2D FX Artist, a Harmony Scene Build Artist, an experienced 3D Maya Rigger, a Lookdev Artist (experienced), a Nuke Pipeline TD, a Render Manager, a Storyboard Artist, a Surfacing Artist (experienced), and a ToonBoom Harmony Animator. They’re also accepting speculative applications.
- (Burbank, CA) Cartoon Network Studios is seeking a Production Coordinator and a Production Manager.
- (Burbank, CA) Disney TV Animation is seeking an Assistant Director, a Background Painter, a CG Model Designer, a Color Designer, and a Director.
- (Glendale, CA) DreamWorks Animation is hiring an Animation Pipeline TD, an Art Director, an Assistant Editor, a Character Designer, a CG Supervising Producer, two Department TDs, a Developmental Production Manager, a Line Producer, a Modeler, two Production Assistants, two Production Coordinators, a Script Coordinator, a Supervising Producer, and three Visual Development Artists.
- Industrial Light and Magic:
- (London, UK) Seeking a Groom Artist. For their Virtual Art Department, they’re seeking an Artist, a Junior Artist, and a Technical Artist.
- (Vancouver, BC) Seeking an Animator and a Previs Generalist.
- (Sydney, Australia) Seeking a Senior Crowd TD, an Effects Supervisor, a Look Development Artist, and a Paint and Roto Artist.
- (Madrid, Spain) Lightbox Animation Studios is seeking a Senior and Mid Lighting & Compositing Artist and a Technical Director.
- (San Francisco, CA) Lucasfilm is seeking a Post Production Director and a Production Engineer.
- (Burbank, CA) Marvel Studios is seeking an Art Director, an Episodic Director, a Senior Illustrator, a Supervising Director, and a VFX Coordinator.
- (Los Angeles, CA) Netflix Animation is hiring an Adult Animation Line Producer, a Compositor, a Compositing Supervisor, a CG Supervisor, a Development Line Producer, a Lead Compositor, a Lead Houdini FX Artist, a Lead Matte Painter, three Line Producers, a Pipeline Technical Director, a Technical Director, a VFX Supervisor, and a Visual Development Artist.
- (Burbank, CA) Nickelodeon is seeking an Animatic Editor, an Animation Feature Line Producer, an Animation Line Producer (upcoming CG series), an Art Director, two Background Designers, two Background Painters, a CG Animation Director, a Character Designer, a Colorist Design, a Lighting and Compositing Artist, a Picture Editor, a Production Coordinator, a Sheet Timer, three Storyboard Directors, two Storyboard Artists, and a Storyboard Supervisor. In New York, NY, they’re seeking an Animation Line Producer.
- (Emeryville, CA) Pixar Animation Studios is seeking a Layout Artist, a Production Coordinator, a Technical Director, Lighting (Project), and a Technical Shader, Characters.
- (Vancouver, BC) Sony Imageworks is hiring Animators, Character FX Technical Directors, Compositors, FX Artists, Layout Artists, Lighters, Matte Painters, Modelers, and more.
- (Los Angeles, CA) Seeking an Assistant Editor, a Creative Director, a Flash Animator, a Line Producer, a Prop Designer, a Storyboard Artist, and two Storyboard Revisionists.
- (Vancouver, BC) Seeking three AE Compositors, a Background Layout Artist, a Background Painter, a Character Designer, a Flash Animator, a Harmony Animator, a Production Coordinator, and a Storyboard Artist.
- Walt Disney Animation Studios is seeking:
- (Burbank, CA) a Designer, an Environment Designer, a General Technical Director, and a Lighting Artist.
- (Vancouver, BC, Canada) a Character Look Development Supervisor, a Character Modeling Supervisor, an Environment Look Development Supervisor, an Environment Modeling Supervisor, a General Technical Director, a Production Supervisor, a Rigging Supervisor, and a Simulation Supervisor.
- (Burbank, CA) Warner Brothers Animation is seeking an Assistant Production Manager, a Graphic Designer, and a Manager, Current Series Kids/Family WB Animation & Cartoon Network.
- Interested in studying design for TV animation on a budget? Abby put together a Google Doc compilation of resources on topics like Background Paint, Color Design, Character Design, and more.
- The Association of Japanese Animations released a 124-page free PDF of “Animator’s Tasks—The First Step to Understanding the Law of Movement.“
- Michael Rianda shared a free class for people who want to learn story in animation.
- Rhael McGregor is offering free animation portfolio reviews for indigenous peoples if you send a copy of your work/portfolio over to their email.
- XP-Pen hosted a free 6-Week Animator Incubation program. All of the courses are now available to view for free.
Comics, Illustration, and MoreTime-sensitive:
- Iron Circus Comics is accepting proposal submissions to Failure to Launch: A Disappointing Collection of Ill-Fated Futures until November 30. Contributing teams will be paid a page rate of $75, plus ten contributor’s copies per creator and the perpetual right to buy copies of the anthology for 50% off the cover price for as long as the comic is in print. There will also be a bonus to page rates for all contributors if the Kickstarter campaign meets stretch goals.
- Arledge Comics is currently accepting applications for comics, short stories, and illustrations for Adorable Assistants: Tails Behind the Art. They’re also looking for artists for pin, sticker, and bookmark designs for Kickstarter rewards. Applications will close on December 1.
- Band of Bards is accepting submissions for “From the Static,” an original horror anthology, until December 31. Their informational website states that “compensation will be made to all creator teams after the successful pre-order/crowdfunding campaign,” but the amount of compensation is not provided.
- Limit Break Comics is accepting pitch submissions for its upcoming anthology Down Below: A Greek Myth Noir Anthology until 11:59pm (GMT) on January 28, 2022. Teams will be paid €50 per page, with pay increases based on Kickstarter campaign success.
- The Pokémon TCG Illustration Contest 2022 is accepting submissions from artists residing in Japan and the United States. Choose from eight different Pokémon and illustrate your chosen Pokémon living out a normal day in its life. Submit artwork until January 31, 2022, at 6:59 PM for a chance to win up to $5,000 cash. Artists can submit up to three illustrations.
- The Silent Manga Competition is accepting entries for its 17th contest with the theme “Moments of Haste, Rage, or Smiles.” Comics must be wordless and be submitted by January 31, 2022.
- (Burbank, CA) DC Comics is seeking three Associate Editors and a Digital Content Specialist, as well as a Senior Art Director for DC Brand and Creative Services.
- (New York, NY/REMOTE) Epic Originals is seeking an Associate Editor. The ideal candidate is an experienced comics editor with a knack for storytelling, knowledge of children’s book industry, and ability to juggle multiple projects.
- (Burbank, CA) Marvel Studios is seeking a Senior Illustrator to join the Visual Development Team.
- (New York, NY) Penguin Random House is seeking a Graphics Editor for Pantheon Books.
- (Los Angeles, CA) Tapas Media is seeking an Editorial Assistant, a Production Manager for Comics, and a Typesetter Team Lead. (REMOTE) They’re also seeking a Freelance Reformatting Assistant for Novels and a Freelance Typesetter.
- (REMOTE) Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is seeking Korean-to-English Localization Translators in Toronto, Halifax, and remotely.
- (Los Angeles, CA) WEBTOON is seeking a Creative Producer, Associate Producer, a Director of Digital Fiction Content Acquisition, and many other candidates, including those interested in the Latin America division.
- Anathema is open to portfolio submissions from illustrators for new/original and/or reprint cover art.
- Arledge Comics is accepting submissions of all-ages comics on a rolling basis.
- AZE Journal is accepting general submissions of articles, collections, abstract expressions, and more on topics which may or may not intersect or resonate with elevating discourse on (a)sexuality, (a)romanticism, and (a)gender identity, and attraction broadly. There is no payment for publication at this time.
- The BioWare Gear Store is looking for artists who want to turn their work into official merch. The work is paid.
- Cloudscape Comics is open for submissions from individuals or teams that are at least 50% current or former BC / Yukon / NWT / Nunavut residents with a minimum interior page count of 45.
- DisabledCartoonists.com has launched! Submissions at CartoonistsofColor.com and QueerCartoonists.com have reopened. Thank you Mari Naomi and Cameron for all of your work in creating and maintaining these priceless resources!
- Fieldmouse Press is open to submissions of high-quality fiction, nonfiction, and poetry comics that have a clear voice and artistic vision. Editors solicit promising work from a variety of sources, including translation and localization of comics never before published in English.
- GenderTerror is accepting submissions of LGBTQ+ horror from artists and writers.
- New Naratif welcomes pitches from freelancers in Southeast Asia (or from the Southeast Asian diaspora) about stories and issues that matter to Southeast Asia and Southeast Asians. Submissions may include research, journalism, comics, videos, podcasts, etc..
- The New Southern Fugitives is seeking submissions of fiction, book reviews, essays, poetry, photography, and visual art from creators in the South.
- Pencil Cat Distribution is a new online store management and order fulfillment service for artists, designers, and creators in Canada. Artists with original artwork are invited to apply; fanart is not allowed at this time. (Note: Although our names are similar, Paper Cat is not affiliated with Pencil Cat.)
- POMEgranate Magazine is accepting pitches from artists and writers.
- Online LGBT+ creator’s collective Rain Arrow is accepting applications on a rolling basis for any LGBT+ creatives interested in hosting a shop on their hub.
- Scholastic Canada invites professional illustrators to email sample art and links to an online portfolio to Andrea Casault, Art Director at acasault[at]scholastic.ca.
- Illustrators and literary agents: Search agent listings by genre, location, and agency at the Agents for Illustrators website.
- COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources is an aggregated list of free resources, opportunities, and financial relief options for all kinds of artists.
- Creator Advisor helps creators connect with other creators on paid comic book projects.
- Creative Capital shared a list of Arts Resources, mostly of funding information and a list of arts events moving online.
- Danielle shared a doc for comic creators with information on what to expect and questions to ask when contacting a potential literary agent you’re considering a partnership with.
- Dunni Mustapha shared Dimensions.com, a website that has a big database with images of people, poses, and objects ideal for drawing references.
- The Etherington Brothers share all kinds of drawing advice on their Instagram. They also just shared a 50-page free downloadable e-book for young artists.
- The website FloorPlanCreator.net (also available as an app in the Google Play store) allows you to make blueprints and then navigate them in 3D.
- Gale Gilligan shared slides from their talk on using perspective as a cartooning tool.
- Eve G. shared a PDF with Comic Lettering Basics and a Kickstarter Budget Calculator.
- Everest shared a HUGE list of artist opportunities (mostly residencies, grants, and galleries) with over 375 links!
- Danielle and Jes & Cin have released The Comic Creator’s Guide to Literary Agents as a pay-what-you-want downloadable PDF. All proceeds are donated to the Marsha P. Johnson Institute.
- Laurica created the Webcomic Author Toolbox designed to offer guidance to self-published webcomic authors.
- Do you have a webcomic with LGBTQ characters and themes? LGBTQ Webcomics is looking to add more queer webcomics to their database on Tagpacker!
- Litebox has launched its website which shares wages earned by illustrators from a variety of clients. Submit your rates. Recently, they discussed work-for-hire contracts.
- Marsoid shared a free 8-part series on making webcomics.
- Nilah Magruder updated the list of literary agents who represent illustrators and added a new page with Steps to Querying. Niki Smith also has a list of agents who represent creators of graphic novels. Maria Vicente shared a guide on querying your graphic novel, from the perspective of a literary agent.
- Photopea.com works like Photoshop, but in your browser.
- RandomWebcomic.com shares random webcomics once you click the “Take me to a random webcomic” button on the site. To add your comic to the list, leave a comment on the website with the link to your comic.
- Sarah Stern shared tips on optimizing your artwork for working with a colorist.
- Shannon Wright shared the “Super Condensed Zine” PDF – a FREE collection of tips on portfolios, websites, agents, and pitching.
- TO Comix Press has shared a sample contract for comic anthology projects, the start-to-finish process of producing an anthology, and articles on marketing and getting indie books into stores.
- Submit your webcomic to The Webcomic Library by using this form.
- Wendy Xu shared a primer on getting an agent as a comic artist.
Conventions and Events
Many conventions and major events have been cancelled due to travel restrictions, guest cancellations, and preventative responses to the spread of COVID-19. Please check in frequently with any event you have planned through 2021, and, as always, wash your hands.
- The Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) will take place December 10-12 in 2021.
- (New York, NY) Abrams Children’s Books is seeking a Senior Designer.
- (Somerville, MA) Candlewick Press is seeking an Associate Book Designer and a Senior Book Designer.
- (New York, NY) Celadon Books is seeking a Designer.
- (New York, NY) Little, Brown Books for Young Readers is seeking a Design Assistant.
- (New York, NY) Henry Holt & Company is looking for a Designer to join the cover design team.
- (Mountain View, CA) KiwiCo is seeking a Graphic Designer, Children’s Books.
- (New York, NY) Little, Brown Books is seeking a Design Assistant.
- (New York, NY) Macmillan Children’s Publishing Group is seeking an Associate Art Director, a Senior Designer, and a Studio Manager.
- (New York, NY) Penguin Random House is seeking:
- (San Diego, CA) ReaderLink is hiring a mid-level Designer for their children’s books.
- (New York, NY) Scholastic is seeking a Designer for the Trade division, a Junior Designer for the Children’s Licensing, Brands & Media Trade Art Department, a Senior Designer for the Graphix imprint, and a Visual Designer for their Digital Book Club.
- (New York, NY) The Sterling Publishing Art Department is seeking a Designer and Senior Designer for picture books, middle grade, YA, board, and novelty titles, as well as an Associate Art Director.
- (New York, NY) Workman Publishing is seeking a Designer/Senior Designer.
- (Seattle, WA) The University of Washington Press is seeking an Art Director.
Looking for fan zines to submit to? Check out Apps4Zines on Twitter.
- Brass Lion Entertainment is an entertainment studio headquartered in New York City and Montréal focused on creating original fictional universes that center on Black, Brown, and other traditionally marginalized characters, cultures, and stories. They’re seeking a Build Programmer, a Game Designer, a Gameplay Programmer, a Lead 3D Environment Artist, a Senior Engine Programmer, a Senior Graphics Programmer, and a UI/UX Programmer.
- (Austin, TX, currently REMOTE) Farbridge is seeking a 3D Character Artist, a 3D Character Animator, and an Unreal C++ Engineer.
- (REMOTE or Los Angeles, CA) Gravity Well is seeking a Senior Gameplay Designer, a Senior Level Designer, and a Senior Systems Designer.
- Kitten Cup Studio is looking for an experienced character rigger and animator to bring to life a variety of cat characters for their upcoming game Pekoe. This is a remote work-for-hire contract open to Ontario residents. This position is compensated at $25/h. The contract is for 960 hours split between 16 characters, but may be extended depending on your experience and skill to include other work.
- (Melbourne, Australia) The League of Geeks is seeking a Technical Director. Relocation assistance is available.
- Nix Hydra Games is seeking a Games Programmer, a Games Executive Producer, and a Mobile Games QA Lead Contractor.
- Playtonic is seeking a Product Marketing Manager, a Producer, a Publishing Producer, a Senior Programmer Lead, and a Senior Technical Artist.
- (Seattle, WA) Polyarc Games is seeking an Environment Artist, a Gameplay Animator, a Mid-Level or Senior 3D Artist, a Mid-Level or Senior Character Artist, a Senior Product Manager, a Senior Technical Artist, and a System/DevOps Engineer.
- (Stockholm, Sweden) Star Sable is seeking team members for “Project Curie,” and filling these roles: a Lead QA, an Open World Designer, a Senior 3D Character Artist, a Senior Product/Brand Marketing Manager, a Senior Technical Animator, and a Technical Director.
- (Oval, London, UK, currently REMOTE) ustoo games is seeking a Technical Artist (contract).
- (Dublin, Ireland; currently Remote) Vela Games is seeking an Art Manager, a Character Concept Artist, a Lead 3D Character Artist, a Senior Animator, a Senior Art Producer, a Senior Combat Designer, a Senior Technical Artist, a VFX Artist, and more.
Game Dev Resources:
- Work in localization? The Fighting Game Glossary lists over 650 terms, carefully explained with 200+ video examples and Japanese translations.
- The Game UI Database is a great resource for interface designers.
- GB Patch Games created a pronoun system that allows players to can choose them, have more than one, weigh how often they’re used, let them change with time, and add their own. GB Patch Games’ programmer is planning to release the code for Renpy in the future, and Noé Charron is offering a version of the system that works with Unity 3D games.
- Represent Me shared its Best Practice Guidelines, featuring definitions of over 100 key diversity terms for free and 30 additional paid guides.
- Sandy Pug Games shared a thread with links to free resources for game creators.
Mentorships & Fellowships
- Rogue Writing Mentors shares affiliated agented authors who are offering mentorship independently, open internationally. This includes mentors who focus in traditional publishing (prose/graphic novels) and self-published works. Individual mentors will have their own closing day, so check their individual tags.
Residencies, Retreats, and Workshops
- ViciousMinutesHour is accepting applications from Black Trans folk for two Artist-in-Residence positions. The artist-in-residence opportunity pays $225 CDN per week and serves as a space/time grant, providing an additional source of income for the general work applicants do as an artist.
Scholarships, Sponsorships, and Grants
- The Arts and Culture Leaders of Color Emergency Fund is sending US-based BIPOC artists and art administrators whose income has been directly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic payments of $200. Click the link to apply or to donate.
- The Awesome Foundation offers $1,000 grants on a rolling basis.
- The Covid-19 Aid Funds website lists funding opportunities.
- Gumroad’s Creators Fund is accepting applications on a rolling basis. Gumroad will be allocating $50,000 in creative grants of $500 to $5,000 throughout the year.
- Are you a professional freelancer experiencing financial duress? The Haven Foundation offers grants and assistance to applicants with chronic illness or injury or other career-threatening emergencies (excluding COVID-19).
- I Need Diverse Games & McElroy Family Podcaster 101 Grants are accepting applications on a rolling basis from Black and POC podcasters (preferably beginners). Recipients will receive one of five bundles which include a Yeti Blue Microphone & a copy of “Everybody has a Podcast (Except You).”
- The LXiA Spark Animation Grant is accepting applications from emerging and independent Latinx animation filmmakers and artists. Two visionary animation filmmakers will be awarded with a grant in the amount of $10,000 each towards the production of an independent animated short film. Apply by December 10 for consideration.
- The Moonrise Fund, an early-stage equity fund backing ambitious creators, is offering $120,000 to $250,000 funds. Visit this page to learn more and apply.
- The Penguin Random House Creative Writing Awards is accepting applications from current US high school seniors until February 1, 2022 at 3pm CT or when 1,000 applications are received. Penguin Random House will award college scholarships of up to $10,000 each to five U.S. high school seniors, nationwide.
- Canadian artists and cultural connectors are welcome to apply for grant funds through the Professional Development for Arts Professionals of Supporting Artistic Practice. Details on how and when you can apply are available on this page.
- Six to Start is seeking voice talent for a number of roles. They pay £50 GBP per hour, plus an additional £25 GBP set up fee for each recording session, and can pay in local currencies if preferred.
Check the Casting Call Club for more voice acting and audio opportunities.
Writing and EditingTime-sensitive:
- PodCastle is accepting submissions of fantasy short fiction of up to 6,000 words until November 30. They pay $.08/word USD for original fiction 6,000 words or less, $100 flat rate for reprints over 1,500 words, and $20 flat rate for flash fiction reprints (stories below 1,500 words)
- Submissions to We’re Here: The Best Queer Speculative Fiction 2021 for Queer short fiction reprints from 2021 are open until December 31.
- Transmogrify! is accepting submissions of stories about literally magical trans and non-binary teens as written by figuratively magical trans and non-binary authors. One or two stories will be selected from submissions and will be featured within the anthology, to be published by HarperTeen in Summer 2023. Submit by January 14, 2022 at 11:59pm PT for consideration.
- (New York, NY) Abrams Press is seeking a Senior Editor, an Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor, and an Associate Editor/Editor.
- (Avon, MA) Adams Media is seeking an Assistant Editor.
- (New York, NY) Basic Books is seeking an Editor or Senior Editor to acquire and edit serious nonfiction.
- (New York, NY) Bold Type Books is seeking an Acquiring Editor.
- (San Jose, CA; Oakland, CA; or New York, NY) Callisto Media is seeking an Editor.
- (Petaluma, CA) Cameron + Company is seeking an Editorial Director.
- (Somerville, MA) Candlewick Press is seeking a Copyeditor/Proofreader, an Editorial Services Manager, and an Editorial Services Assistant Manager.
- (San Francisco, CA) Chronicle Books is seeking an Assistant Managing Editor.
- (Sunnyvale, CA, currently REMOTE) Crazy Maple Studio is seeking a Narrative Designer (remote).
- (New York, NY) Crooked Lane Books is seeking a Senior Editor of crime fiction. Alcove Press, an imprint of Crooked Lane Books, is also seeking a Senior Editor.
- (New York, NY) Erewhon Books is seeking a full-time, US-based Editorial Assistant.
- (New York, NY) Farrar, Straus and Giroux is seeking an Editorial Assistant.
- (New York, NY) Forge Books, an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates (TDA) is looking for a full-time Editorial Assistant.
- (REMOTE) The Hachette Book Group Associates Program is accepting applications for its paid 12-month learning and development work experience.
- (New York, NY) Henry Holt is seeking an Editorial Assistant.
- (New York, NY) Little, Brown Spark is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the VP, Publisher, Editor-in-Chief and VP, Editorial Director.
- (New York, NY) Macmillian Adult Trade Division is seeking a Senior Managing Editor.
- (Plymouth, MI) Macmillian Learning is seeking a Managing Editor, an Editorial Assistant, and an Editorial Assistant (contract).
- (New York, NY) Penguin Random House is seeking
- an Assistant/Associate Editor to join the team at Ballantine Bantam Dell
- an Associate Editor and a Graphics Editor for Pantheon Books
- an Associate Editor for the Zeitgeist imprint
- a Bilingual Copy Editor (Spanish/English) and an Editorial Assistant for Random House Children’s Books
- a Copy Editor for Random House Children’s Books
- an Editor and an Editorial Assistant for DK
- (REMOTE OK) an Editor for the Razorbill imprint within Penguin Young Readers
- a Managing Editor and a Manga Editor (REMOTE OK) to work on graphic novels (manga), trade novels, art books, and other publishing products for Square Enix
- a Managing Editorial Assistant to assist Penguin Young Readers
- an Associate Production Editor for Putnam & Razorbill
- (New York, NY) The Quarto Group is seeking an Editor.
- (Philadelphia, PA) Running Press is seeking an Editor.
- (New York, NY) Scholastic is seeking an Associate Editor, two Editorial Assistants, and a Managing Editor.
- (Naperville, IL or New York, NY) Sourcebooks is seeking a Senior Editor – Children’s and Young Readers.
- (New York, NY) Sterling Publishing Company is seeking an Editor/Senior Editor (Cookbooks & Lifestyle) and an Editorial Assistant for Puzzlewright Press.
- (New York, NY) St. Martin’s Press is seeking a Senior Editor to acquire and edit lead titles, significantly profitable fiction and nonfiction books, and adult and young adult (especially Own Voices) titles. They’re also seeking an Editorial Assistant.
- (REMOTE) Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is seeking Korean-to-English Localization Translators in Toronto, Halifax, and remotely; Series Editors in Toronto, Halifax, and remotely; a Director of Digital Fiction Content Acquisition; and more.
- (New York, NY) Workman Publishing is seeking a Children’s Book Editor.
- (New York, NY) Yen Press is seeking two Editorial Assistants to work with manga and light novels.
- Anathema Magazine is seeking prose, poetry, and cover art submissions from queer/two-spirit person of color/Indigenous/Aboriginal people.
- Anime Feminist is looking for contributors. Read here for more information. Article writers will be paid $50 per article.
- Anime News Network is seeking Freelance Editorial Contributors.
- Autostraddle is seeking #LoveLettersToTransPeople. Write a short love letter to trans people all over who are trying to get through the holidays, and email it to xoai [at] autostraddle.com. Include your own name and location if desired. Letters may be edited for length if published. They’re also hiring an Art Director, a Senior Director of Advertising Sales, and a Deputy Editor.
- beestung is accepting submissions from non-binary and two-spirit writers. Poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, hybrids, and art with intracommunity sensibilities are welcome. Contributors will be paid a $20 honorarium.
- Cake Creative is seeking submissions from queer writers for a work-for-hire opportunity. They would especially love to hear from BIPOC queer writers.
- Carnation Books is accepting submissions of f/f historical romance of at least 50,000 words from fanfiction authors.
- CBR is seeking experienced writers to write on comic book news, analyses, and movie and tv show casting news.
- Clarksworld Magazine is looking for fiction and nonfiction contributors and pays up to $0.10 per word.
- CRAFT is accepting submissions of short and flash fiction, with a free “fast-response” option available to BIPOC and other historically mis- and underrepresented writers. Fast responses will be given within four weeks of submission. If CRAFT declines your work, they will offer a few lines of actionable feedback. They pay $200 for accepted short stories and $100 for flash fiction. Each published story includes an editor’s introduction as well as a craft essay (author’s note) by the writer.
- Online monthly magazine The Dark is accepting submissions from 2000 to 6000 words in length. Encouraged genres include horror and dark fantasy, but graphic, violent horror is not desired. Payment is $0.06/word for up to 6000 words. Republishing payment is $0.01/word.
- The Deadlands, a new monthly speculative fiction magazine, is accepting short fiction and nonfiction submissions of up to 5000 words and pays $0.10/word.
- The Drinking Gourd is accepting pitches from Black Muslims. They accept work across all genres with a particular fondness for Afrofuturism and speculative fiction. All contributors are paid a $75 flat rate.
- Interstellar Flight Press is accepting submissions of essays and book-length nonfiction manuscripts.
- Interlude Press has reopened to submissions.
- New Naratif welcomes pitches from freelancers in Southeast Asia (or from the Southeast Asian diaspora) about stories and issues that matter to Southeast Asia and Southeast Asians. Submissions may include research, journalism, comics, videos, podcasts, etc..
- POMEgranate Magazine is accepting pitches from artists and writers.
- Scholastic Canada is currently interested in reviewing unpublished material by writers from underrepresented communities, including Black writers, Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers with disabilities, LGBTQIA2S+ writers and writers who identify with other marginalized groups. They are also accepting manuscripts via literary agents.
- The SFWA blog is open to nonfiction submissions that might be of interest to new and/or established writers of science fiction and fantasy.
- The Temper is seeking written works, particularly from marginalized writers, that relate to sobriety, addiction, or recovery.
- Three-Lobed Burning Eye is seeking original speculative short stories and flash fiction. Accepted authors of short stories will receive $100 and for flash fiction authors will receive $30.
- Charlesbridge editors are offering free, 30-minute sessions to writers and illustrators who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, or people of color (BIPOC) to discuss your manuscript or review your portfolio. You must enter a lottery on their website for consideration.
- Hanna Alkaf shared a free post on Patreon about the realities of being a non-US author in US publishing. It also features Rin Chupeco, Laura Pohl, and Jesse Q Sutanto.
- #LatinxPitch shared a blog post about how to research agents prior to querying.
- Elissa shared a thread on reaching out to your local bookstores as an author.
- Literary Agents of Color is a directory that aims to support literary agents of color in the publishing industry.
- Shelly Romero created a document of Publishing Industry Resources.
- There are many ways to be a part of the publishing industry – some less visible than others. Tor EDU shared a video panel online detailing the operations of different departments within publishing.
Youth and Internships
- Basic Books and Seal Press are seeking Spring 2022 Editorial and Publicity interns.
- James Patterson Books is accepting applications for Marketing & Publicity interns.
- (REMOTE) Macmillan Publishers is currently offering paid, part-time, remote internship opportunities for Spring 2022.
- The NewPages Young Writers Guide for artists and writers shares publications seeking applications from youth contributors.
- Penguin Random House is offering paid remote internships for Spring 2022 in their Editorial department. Apply by January 13, 2022 for consideration.
- (Los Angeles, CA) Webtoon is seeking a Storyboard Intern.
- Abelle, with help from Annie’s Google doc, created a calendar of the various scheduled hashtag events on Twitter. Now you can add your hashtag events, if you don’t see them on the calendar.
- Ally Rom Colthoff shared a list of active print and merchandise manufacturers for folks looking to print their own comics or create their own merchandise.
- Andrea of White Squirrel Co. shared a series of threads on how to set up an online store.
- Ashley shared a spreadsheet of resources and job boards. Thanks, Ashley!
- Canadian authors, illustrators, and comic creators can register their work with the Public Lending Right program to receive payouts for up to 25 years from the publishing date. Thank, Jim Zub, for the tip!
- Latinx Pitch shared a blog post on The Anatomy of a Query Letter. As many creators are seeking representation, knowing how to best present your work to an agent can help potential partners engage with your work.
- Lily Joiner created a Google Sheets database listing different manufacturers of all types of products. Lily created it to cut through the stigma behind artists not sharing information on where they get their products made, as well as a way to help artists new to the merch world make their research easier. Thanks, Lily!
- Sam Gushue shared a thread of resources they’ve shared over the years.
- Sara Linsley shared a thorough Manga Retouching Guide.
- Smithsonian Open Access allows you to download, share, and reuse millions of the Smithsonian’s images. Nearly 3 million 2D and 3D digital items are available for free use.
- Sydney wrote and shared a guide for US-based sellers regarding the 2021 UK VAT laws. The guide outlines general information, to-dos, and resources.
- Visit ReferenceAngle.com to find free photo references of heads at different angles. Search by age, emotions, gender, and more. There’s a similar website for animals here.
- VIShopper is the creator and distributor of cut-out images and textures for architectural visualization.
- Zack has shared a lot of tips and guides for using Clip Studio Paint. Find them all here! He also posted a guide comparing some popular iPad drawing apps rating each on ease of use, cost versus value, and his overall feelings about them.
- Affinity is offering its programs at a 50% discount following a free 90-day trial.
- ArtStation is offering free subscriptions through the end of 2021. With a subscription, you can access as many ArtStation Learning courses as you like.
- There are many sales this weekend with Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday taking place November 26-29. Keep an eye out for some great deals!
- Clip Studio Paint is on sale for 40% off or more through November 30, 8:00AM UTC/GMT.
- MediBang Paint is offering their ART street resources for up to 50% off until November 30, 6PM JST.
- Goodreads offers giveaways for a variety of titles in all genres. Check out these giveaways for graphic novels.
That’s it for this week! Is there something you’d like to see more of? Something you know about but don’t see here? Let me know!
Thank you to Steven, April, Ari, C. Ellis, M Sorcier, Rene, SAWHAND, Bones, Elle, Geneva, Jesse, Abi, Amanda, Andi, Annie, BlackHairedDemon, Catherine, Char, Clorinspats, Eric, Farid, Frannie, Hedwig, Heidi, Ian, Julius, Kat, Laura, M Maaike, metouji, Michi, Myfawny, Ravi, and Sheika for your support on Patreon!
Link to the previous Roundup: Weekly Roundup: November 5, 2021